Anantamul, also referred to as Sariva or Indian Sarsaparilla, has a wide range of uses from rejuvenation and nourishing the tissues, to cleansing and detoxifying the body. Its robust red color indicates the powerful effect it has on the blood, specifically to cool and purify this vital tissue. Its variability in actions allow it to treat a plethora of disorders including all skin disorders (acne, eczema, psoriasis, etc), infertility, miscarriage, inflammation, excessive heat, toxins, low energy, low libido and so much more. In fact, Anantamul’s versatility can also be seen in its ability to treat all three doshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha) simultaneously.
There are many detoxifying, blood cleansing herbs out there, but Anantamul is one of my favorites, as it is gentle enough to use for people of all ages, all dosha types and all stages of health (or disease). Often an individual may need to remove toxins from the system, but in fact is too depleted for some of the more harsh detoxifiers such as Neem and Kutki. Anantamul is not only a great choice for detoxification in these situations, but will also aid in increasing the vital energy (Ojas) and rejuvenating the system at the same time.
Although Anantamul can be used in both men and women alike, it is clearly a leader in women’s health issues. It acts specifically on the reproductive organs and its gentle nature allows it to be utilized during all stages of womanhood, including pregnancy. In fact, it is traditionally used during a woman’s entire pregnancy to strengthen the fetus and help prevent miscarriage. Whether treating fertility issues, recurrent miscarriage, menopausal symptoms, irregular cycles, UTIs or low libido, Anantamul is a great option… But don’t get me wrong, Anantamul is equally as effective in treating male infertility, impotence, low libido and poor sperm count/quality too!
Health Benefits of Anantamul:
- Tri-doshic, beneficial for Vata, Pitta and Kapha
- Detoxifies the system
- Cleanses and cools the liver and blood
- Increases the digestive fire without increasing Pitta or heat
- Rejuvenates the tissues, with extra focus on the reproductive tissue
- Increases energy and vitality
- Treats low libido (both male and female) and impotence
- Increases fertility (both male and female)
- Improves sperm production
- Prevents miscarriage and strengthens the fetus
- Promotes healthy breast milk
- Treats menstrual issues, especially involving excessive bleeding (menorrhagia)
- Reduces hot flashes and other excessive heat issues in the body
- Treats all skin diseases including psoriasis, eczema, acne, rosacea and rash (can be used internally and externally)
- Improves the complexion, creating clear and lustrous skin
- Reduces lymphatic swelling
- Benefits arthritis and chronic rheumatism
- Beneficial in diarrhea and dysentery
- Reduces cough and asthma
- Beneficial in anemia
- Reduces fever
- Treats UTI and kidney infections
- Demulcent (heals and coats the mucosal membranes)
- Reduces inflammation in the GI tract
- Reduces heated emotions such as anger, short temper, irritation and frustration
- Beneficial in herpes (can be used internally and externally)
- Treats Vata pushing Pitta in the colon (i.e. anxiety causing loose stools)
- Treats nervous system disorders
How to use Anantamul:
1. For infertility and sexual debility:
For Women: Mix 1/4 tsp of Anantamul, 1/4 tsp of Shatavari, 1/4 tsp of Vidari and 1/4 tsp of ghee in 1/2 cup of warm water. This can be taken three times daily before meals. If available add in a small pinch of Pippali powder to each dosage.
**Alternatively, both men and women can take 1 tsp of Rasayana Ghrita melted in 1/2 cup of warm water, twice each day (morning and before bed).
2. During Pregnancy:
Take 1/4 tsp of Anantamul, 1/4 tsp of Bala, 1/4 tsp of Shatavari, a small pinch of ginger, 1 tsp of honey and 1/2 tsp of ghee, mixed in 1/2 cup of warm milk (substitute with Almond or Hemp Milk). Take this twice daily, once in the morning and again before bed.
3. For detoxification and blood and liver cleansing:
**Alternatively one can take the Daily Detox Blend in the same dosages.
4. For increasing strength and rejuvenation:
**Alternatively, one can take 1 tsp of Rasayana Ghrita mixed in 1 tsp of honey. This should be taken in the morning (before food) and again around 2-3pm.
5. Reducing anger and irritation (and all Pitta emotions):
6. Increasing digestion without increasing heat:
7. Reducing inflammation in the GI tract:
Take 1/4 tsp each of Anantamul, Licorice and Shatavari, with 1/8 tsp of Kamadudha (if available). Mix this in warm water and take before each meal. **This should be done simultaneously while taking a Pitta-reducing diet.
Products with Anantamul:
- Daily Detox Formula
- Triphala Ghrita (Triphala Ghee)
- Rasayana Ghrita (Rejuvenation Ghee)
- Moon Goddess Tincture