A healthy lifestyle routine is an essential element to any weight-loss plan. These practices includes exercising and establishing a healthy, consistent daily routine. It is imperative for any healthcare plan to make adequate time for yourself and your self-care. Establishing a healthy routine is the first step that will help. This involves proper meal times, sleep times and consistent exercise habits. Incorporating these healthy routine practices will be vital for the most effective weight-loss results.
Daily Routine for Weight Loss:
- Begin a healthy eating schedule. Eat 3 meals a day including a light breakfast around 7-8am; a hearty lunch between 11:30am-12:30pm; and a light dinner between 5-6pm. Read more on a healthy weight-loss diet here.
- Begin a healthy sleep schedule, going to bed around 10-11pm and getting up at 6-630am. Avoid eating before bed and oversleeping. If you feel groggy in the morning this should subside once some toxins are burned and some heaviness is lifted.
- Avoid daytime sleeping (aka napping), especially after food!
- Go for a 15 minute brisk walk after meals. This is a simple and easy way to spark the digestion and increase the metabolism.
- Get moving for at least 30 minutes- EVERYDAY! The best, low-impact exercises include swimming, performing 30 minutes of the elliptical at the gym, taking a yoga class (of moderate intensity and pace), riding your bike, going for a hike or taking a long brisk walk. Taking 30 minutes out of each day for these simple exercises will make a huge difference in your health, energy and self-confidence.
- Sweat! Sweating or “svedana” is a great way to remove toxins, increase circulation and increase the metabolism. If you have access to a dry sauna, go 2-3 times each week for a minimum of two, 15 minute sessions. If you do not have access to this, take a hot ginger and baking soda bath 2-3 times each week, making sure to sit for a minimum of 20 minutes or until you break a sweat.
- Find a healthy outlet for your emotions. This is essential! If we do not work on the emotional factor involved in weight gain and obesity, we will never be free of this trend. If you steer towards emotional eating, depression, lack of motivation, lack of confidence or anxiety these are all common causes of weight issues. Begin to take notice of these emotional patterns and find a healthy outlet to them. This could be journaling, meditation, yoga, art therapy, music, finding a trusted therapist, talking to a friend, going out in nature, taking a walk, laying in the grass or whatever may resonate with you. Make these a regular part of your weekly routine!
- Perform a vigorous, full body self-massage (Abhyanga) with Kapha oil at least 1-2 times each week. This will enhance the digestion/metabolism, increase the circulation and remove toxins. Abhyanga is also a well-known tool for balancing the emotions. Read more about the health benefits of Abhyanga oil massage here.
Continue reading to discover more remedies for weight loss:
Schedule a Professional Ayurvedic Consultation today!