Using Ayurveda as a method for weight loss is not only an effective source, but also provides a non-invasive approach with long-lasting results. Although there is no magic pill or overnight fix for this therapy, the results will be beneficial for your physical health, emotional/mental health and as an added benefit, your physical appearance (and confidence) as well!
Common Causes of Weight Issues:
- Increased Kapha dosha in the system
- Poor dietary habits
- Low digestive fire
- Excessive toxins in the system
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Underactive thyroid
- Past trauma
- Other emotional factors
Of course there is usually more than one cause and unfortunately, they tend to feed off of each other causing a downward spiral of weight gain (i.e. depression leads to a sedentary lifestyle and overeating, which increases the weight and furthers the depression). In order to truly get long-lasting results with your weight loss plan, one must also look at the specific causal factors in your life and simultaneously work on these root causes during the weight-loss plan. Therefore it may be beneficial to work with a compassionate and knowledgeable Ayurvedic Practitioner during this time.
Although I do recommend to work with a knowledgeable Practitioner, I have decided to share this information with you in order to give you an idea of what to expect and how to get started. Each person’s weight-loss plan will look a bit different as we all have unique needs. This general plan I am sharing with you today, however, is fairly well rounded and should be suitable for most individuals that are dealing with excessive weight.
Before we get to the juicy stuff, I want to prep you with a few points to keep in mind throughout this weight-loss journey in order for you to obtain the most effective, long-lasting results.
- You must practice the appropriate diet and lifestyle changes, do not rely solely on herbs. The herbal recommendations will only be a compliment to these and will not be sustaining on their own.
- You must be consistent, focused and strong willed during this process. There will be more room to “play” once a balanced weight is obtained, but during the weight-loss plan self-discipline and consistency is essential.
- You must not make too many major changes at once. Doing too much, too soon often leads to resentment and failure. In order to find a plan you can stick with; it is most beneficial to practice 2-3 changes from each category at a time, get comfortable with these and then add more changes to the regimen.
- Find a support system. Whether this is other people also trying to lose weight, a Practitioner to guide you through the process or just a supportive friend to give you encouragement when you feel down; this can be a good way to continue on this journey long-term.
- Don’t give up if you have a bad day. If you find yourself eating cookies late at night one evening, this doesn’t mean you just messed everything up and you should just give up. You may have a bad day, you may even have a bad week. It is never too late to get started on your health plan and it is never too late to get back on it either. Just keep moving forward, no matter what!
So now that I have gone over the basic preparatory information, let’s move on to the health practices you will need to discover in order to begin your Ayurvedic weight-loss plan. Remember that each category is just as important as the other and you must make these vital changes in all areas to find balance and stability in your weight (and health).
Schedule a Professional Ayurvedic Consultation today!