Electrolytes such as sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium and phosphate are our bodies forms of energy and fuel. In times of dehydration, excessive heat, heavy sweating and intense exercise, our bodies can get depleted of these natural energy sources causing weakness and fatigue. This simple drink recipe will refuel you in a healthy way, while cooling excessive heat in the body and keeping your system hydrated.
Taking this drink each day is a great way to keep the Pitta (fire) in check during these hot summer months, naturally flush toxins from the system and give the digestion a much needed boost. For the extra hot months or times of extreme dehydration and depletion, try adding fresh juice from a cucumber (if you have a juicer) or a splash of coconut water from a young coconut. It’s is a bit more work, but well worth the effort!
- Doshic Effect: Vata↓, Pitta ↓, Kapha ↓ (but is best for Pitta)
- Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 4 cups, 2-4 servings
- Time: 5 minutes prep time; 15-20 minutes steep time
- Quart size ball jar or something similar
- Knife and cutting board
- 4 cups of filtered water
- Juice from a 1/2 of a lime
- 10-15 fresh mint leaves (optional but highly recommended)
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt or pink himalayan salt
- Fill a quart size glass jar with the filtered or spring water (room temperature please).
- Add the fresh squeezed lime juice, maple syrup and a pinch of salt.
- Cut up the fresh mint leaves in small pieces and add to the drink mixture.
- Let this steep for at least 15-20 minutes; however, the leaves can be left in as long as preferred.
- Cover the jar with an air tight lid and shake several time to disperse the ingredients evenly.
- Strain the leaves out and serve.
- Electrolyte water is great for times of excessive heat, high Pitta, heavy sweating, dehydration and low energy. This batch will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Ayurveda always recommends to drink liquids at room temperature or warmer; iced beverages are never recommended, even in the summer!
Schedule a Professional Ayurvedic Consultation today!