Cilantro is one of my favorite herbs, as it is fresh, affordable, accessible and carries a wide range of health benefits. This tasty herb can be used as food or in larger dosages to increase the potency of its health benefits. Cilantro’s cooling, anti-inflammatory properties makes it essential in any Pitta imbalance, while also being an Ayurvedic staple for every-body during these hot summer months. Cilantro is also well-known for its powerful detoxifying action, and more importantly, its unique ability to remove heavy metals from the tissues.
Cilantro is often used for reducing allergies, cooling excessive heat (especially in the liver and blood), strengthening and cleansing the liver, alleviating skin issues (rash, psoriasis, eczema, acne, etc), increasing digestion, promoting detoxification, removing heavy metal toxicity (chelation) or simply for daily maintenance and health. Although it possesses strong cleansing properties, it is overall a very gentle herb making it a great option for people of all ages, strengths and body-types (dosages will vary however).
Cilantro Health Benefits
- Cools excessive heat in the system
- Detoxifies the body
- Removes heavy metals from the tissues (chelation)
- Cleanses, cools and strengthens the liver and blood
- Treats skin issues such as rash, psoriasis, eczema and acne
- Reduces inflammation in the body
- Alleviates hot flashes and night sweats
- Treats allergies (chronic or seasonal); natural antihistamine
- Increases the digestive fire (Agni)
- Promotes healthy elimination
- Useful in the treatment and prevention of UTI’s
- Alleviates eye disorders such as inflammation, infection and degeneration
- Flushes out the kidneys and prevents kidney stones
- Powerful antioxidant source, preventing free-radical damage
- Great source of Vitamin K (needed for strong healthy bones)
- Reduces anxiety
- Lowers LDL cholesterol
- Balances blood-sugar levels
- Tri-doshic, but is especially beneficial in Pitta imbalances
Cilantro Juice is a great way to get a strong dose of this herb in each day. It is pleasant to drink, easy to make and best of all there is no juicer required. Instead this recipe uses a blender to create the juice, getting a higher yield without wasting too much of the herb in the process. If you have a high speed blender, the juice can be made without any straining; however, if your blender is not quite as powerful, a cheese cloth or fine mesh strainer may be needed to create a more desirable texture.
How to Make Cilantro Juice
- High speed blender
- Cutting board and knife
- Peeler for the cucumber
- Cheese cloth or fine strainer (optional)
- 4 cups of water
- 1 large bunch of cilantro
- 1/2 of a large cucumber
- Juice from 1 lime
1. Add 4 cups of water to the blender.
2. Take the cilantro bunch and wash thoroughly. Make sure to get out any dirt that may be hiding in the bunch. There if nothing worse than a gritty, crunchy texture to your juice!
3. Once washed completely, coarsely chop up the cilantro.
4. Add the chopped cilantro into the blender, stems and all.
5. Wash and peel the cucumber. Chop it up and add it to the blender.
6. Squeeze the juice from one lime into the blender.
7. Blend on high for 1-3 minutes (depending on the power of your blender).
8. Once everything is completely blended, pour a small amount into a cup to sample. This will tell you if you need to strain or not.
9. If there is still a lot of “chunkies” in the juice, you can either blend it some more or use a fine mesh strainer, cheese cloth or something of the like to create a more palatable texture. This step is optional and just depends on personal preference.
10. Store in the fridge in an air tight glass jar (such as a ball jar) for 3-4 days.
How to Take Cilantro Juice
There are many ways to take this healing juice, depending on your own personal needs. Here are some general issues along with their specific instructions. Please note however that everyone is unique so these are simply general recommendations.
1. For Detoxification or Chelation:
Take 1/4-1/2 cup of this juice blend 2-3 times daily for at least one month. It is often recommended to take chlorella along with the cilantro juice if your goal is to remove heavy metals from the system.
2. For Cleansing and Strengthening the Liver:
As a liver tonic this juice can be taken daily at 1/4 cup 1-3 times a day, depending on the condition of the liver. For extra cleansing and cooling properties, one can add 1-2 Tbsp of Aloe Vera Juice to each dosage.
3. For Rash, Psoriasis, Eczema and Acne:
Take 1/4 cup of the juice 2-3 times a day, as needed during flare-ups. If you have strained the juice, the pulp can be placed on the affected area for 15-30 minutes. For severe cases, I would recommend taking the juice internally throughout the day and applying Pitta Oil (contains cilantro EO and many other anti-inflammatory herbs) externally each night before bed.
4. For Allergies:
This can be take as 1/4 cup 2-3 times a day during allergy flare-ups. If you suffer from chronic allergies, this can be taken daily as long as needed.
5. For Cooling the Body:
This tonic can be taken in larger dosages if you are just needing to cool down on these hot summer days. Take 1/2-1 cup as needed anytime you feel excessive heat in the system and need a quick cool down.
6. For Hot Flashes:
During times of recurring night sweats or hot flashes, this drink can be taken as both treatment for acute flare-ups, but more importantly as prevention for the future. Take 1/2 cup as needed for acute hot flashes. Take 1/4 cup of cilantro juice, twice a day for future prevention making sure to be consistent for best results.