Many individuals know of the powerful health benefits Triphala Churna provides when taken each day. But this herbal panacea’s health benefits go even further than simply taking it internally. In fact, it is often used in many skincare formulas, mouthwashes, toothpastes, and yes, it has great potential when used as an eyewash! This traditional eye care home remedy is simple to apply and is often used to support a wide range of eye disorders from dry eyes, redness, eye infections, conjunctivitis (aka Pink Eye), glaucoma, cataracts, weak vision, blurry vision, eye floaters and much more!
For this simple remedy, you will only need three things: some warm filtered water, an eyecup (like this one here), and of course some Triphala Churna. The entire process only takes a few minutes per eye and should ideally be performed daily for best results. It can be applied both day and night for severe eye issues, or just in the morning for milder conditions. It can be used long-term for chronic disorders (i.e. cataracts, glaucoma, etc) or as long as symptoms persist for more acute conditions (i.e. redness, dryness, itchiness, etc).
Triphala Eye Wash Health Benefits
- Reduces eye redness and irritation
- Reduces eye inflammation
- Reduces dry, itchy eyes
- Beneficial for “allergy eyes”
- Beneficial for all eye infections such as conjunctivitis (aka Pink Eye)
- Improves eyesight
- Reduces blurriness and floaters
- Reduces cataracts and glaucoma
- Reduces and prevents the presence of styes
- Maintains healthy eyes, prevents future eye disorders
Anytime you are applying a substance to the eyes it is essential to use great care. Before beginning, it will be good to go over a few precautions. Please read carefully!
Precautions for Applying Triphala Eye Wash
- Make sure to clean the eyecup with each use (even between eyes). This can be easily done with some warm water and mild soap.
- Always use filtered water.
- Always use a high-quality, organic Triphala powder (purchase my handcrafted, organic Triphala here).
- Strain the Triphala tea making sure to remove all powder; any sediment leftover can cause irritation to the eyes. For best results use a muslin cloth, cheesecloth, or paper towel rather than a strainer.
- Always apply to clean eyes (i.e. no makeup!).
- Do not apply with contacts in.
- Do not apply the eyewash directly after applying any eye drops (prescription or OTC).
- If eye drops are needed, wait an hour after using the eyewash before application.
- Everyone reacts differently to herbs and medicines. If severe redness or irritation occurs, discontinue use!
So now that we have that out of the way, let’s get to the good stuff!
How to Make and Use Triphala Eye Wash
- 1 tsp organic Triphala Churna
- 1 cup filtered water, hot but not boiling
- Clean cheesecloth, muslin cloth, or thick paper towel
- Sterile glass cup for steeping Triphala
- Sterile glass eye cup for applying eyewash
1. Add the Triphala Churna to the hot filtered water in a sterile glass cup and stir.
2. Leave this mixture in the glass cup, covered, and at room temperature. Ideally, this should be left for 8-12 hours before straining to get the full benefits. This means that you can do the first step in the morning for an evening application, or do step number one in the evening to apply in the morning.
NOTE: If this time frame is not possible, simply steep in hot water until it cools to a suitable temperature (about 98 degrees or cooler).
3. Once the Triphala tea is steeped and cooled to 98 degrees or less, take a clean cheese or muslin cloth and strain out the herbal sediment making sure to leave only liquid. Any sediment that is left behind can cause irritation to the eye.
4. Place the strained Triphala infusion into the sterile glass eyecup.
5. Tilt the head down to face the floor. Place the eyecup over the right eye. Once secure, tilt the head all the way back.
6. Keep this position for about a minute, making sure to keep the eye open and blink every 5-10 seconds or so.
7. Once the minute has passed, tilt the head back down and take away the eyecup.
8. If needed, splash some lukewarm water in and around the eye and pat dry with a clean towel.
9. Repeat on the left side for an equal amount of time.
10. Apply both day and night for severe issues, once a day for mild ones, or as needed otherwise.
- Everything You Need to Know About Castor Oil Eye Drops For Safe Application and Effective Use
- Triphala: 10 Reasons to Take This Herbal Panacea
- Triphala Face Mask For Soft Skin and Glowing Complexion