Although the dreaded symptoms of PMS have come to be known as a “natural” part of the female cycle, it is actually a sign of imbalance in the system. One of the most prevalent symptoms of PMS reported include the infamous cramps that often precede and accompany menstruation.
According to Ayurveda, you cannot have pain without stagnation. Therefore, menstrual cramps are often a sign of stagnant and blocked energy in the female reproductive system (artava). This tea recipe will help to move the energy through this area, while also providing anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, and pain-relieving benefits.
For monthly cramp relief, drink 1 to 3 cups of this tea each day up to a week prior to menstruation, until the bleeding has reduced to a “spotting”. If you are having irregular, painful, or debilitating cycles each month, this may be a sign of a deeper imbalance.
NOTE: This tea will relieve cramping of all kinds and is great for digestion, nausea, and morning sickness too!
- Doshic effect: Vata↓, Pitta ↓, Kapha ↓ (may increase Pitta in excess)
- Makes: 4 cups
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Medium sauce pan
- Fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth
- 4 1/2 cups of filtered water
- Fresh ginger (2 inch cube), grated or finely chopped*
- 2 tablespoons tulsi leaf
- 1 tablespoons lemongrass
- 1 tablespoons peppermint leaf
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Honey to taste (optional)
* Fresh ginger may be substituted with 1 teaspoon dry ginger unless there is a strong Pitta imbalance.
1. Boil the water in a medium size sauce pan. Once this is boiling, reduce the heat to the lowest setting.
2. Add the grated ginger, tulsi, lemongrass, peppermint, and cinnamon sticks. Steep on a low heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Strain with a fine mesh strainer into your favorite mug.
4. Once the tea has cooled to about 110 degrees, add a small amount of honey (if used).
5. Drink this tea regularly throughout the day for continuous cramp relief. One to three cups of this tea should be taken daily beginning 2 to 3 days before the menstrual cycle begins, and continued throughout the menstruation. For digestion, nausea, and morning sickness, take as needed.