Ojas is the energetic force of the body that governs over our energy, immunity, fertility, libido and overall vitality. This delicious drink recipe not only has been created to increase the Ojas in the system, but it is specific for the various needs of a man with a special focus on promoting muscle strength, aiding in muscle recovery (great for post-workout!), enhancing the sexual potency (aka libido), increasing male fertility and boosting energy.
This Ayurvedic based recipe is filled with a long list of nutrients that are essential for a man’s overall health and wellness. It contains not only a substantial amount of protein, but hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds and chia seeds, all of which are considered “perfect proteins” as they contain the 9 essential amino acids. The Ashwagandha, Bala and Maca are considered “rejuvenatives” in Ayurvedic medicine with a specific affinity for the muscles and male reproductive system. Further Ashwagandha is an essential Ayurvedic herb for promoting healthy testosterone levels for the male body.
Other heavy hitters in this recipe include turmeric, ginger and cacao all of which increase the circulation in the system, aiding in muscle recovery and enhancing sex drive. Turmeric and ginger are commonly used for their anti-inflammatory properties, making it a great option for your post-workout recovery snack. Ghee is another vital Ojas-increasing ingredient as it nourishes all cells, aids in digestion and absorption of nutrients and promotes healthy sperm.
- Doshic effect: Vata↓, Pitta↓, Kapha↑*
- Serving: 20 ounces
- Time: About 10 minutes (although the dates and walnuts should be soaked overnight)
- Gluten-Free, Vegetarian (can be made vegan)
*See doshic variations at the bottom of the page to make this dish more Kapha-friendly!
Health Benefits of Men’s Ojas Drink
- Increases energy and stamina
- Aids in muscle strength, rejuvenation and recovery; great option for post-work out snack!
- Promotes healthy testosterone levels
- Increase sex drive
- Promotes healthy sperm and male fertility
- Increases the circulation
- Reduces inflammation
- Promotes brain, heart, hair and skin health
- Rich in antioxidants and omega-3s
- Increases healthy Ojas
- High speed blender (the Vitamix or Blendtec work best)
- Measuring spoons and cups
- 1.5 cup water
- 3 pitted medjool dates soaked overnight in 1/2 cup of water (make sure to measure out the water as it will be added to the drink)
- 1/2 of an avocado
- 10 walnuts, soaked overnight (discard water)
- 1 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Ashwagandha Root powder
- 1 tsp Maca Root powder
- 1/2 tsp Bala Root powder (if available)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup (optional for additional sweetness)
1. Soak the dates in 1/2 cup of water overnight, making sure to remove the pits. If a speed soak is needed, use hot water and soak for a minimum of 1 hour. Save the soaking water as it will be added to the final recipe.
2. Place the walnuts in water and soak overnight. If a speed soak is needed, use hot water and soak for a minimum of 1 hour. The soaking water should be discarded.
3. Once the soaking ingredients are ready, add the entire list of ingredients to a high speed blender. Please remember to use the 1/2 cup of date water, but discard the walnut water. There will be a total of 2 cups of water in the final recipe.
4. Blend the ingredients on high for 2-4 minutes depending on the strength of your blender. Ideally the texture should be completely smooth and creamy.
5. Enjoy this recipe as a male health tonic 3-5 days a week. It is a great snack option for pre-workout or post-workout, or during times of depletion, low energy, low libido, reduced fertility or anytime an extra boost is needed.
Optional Doshic Variations
This recipe is overall balancing for Vata dosha. It is building (anabolic), rejuvenating, strengthening and lubricating making it an excellent tonic for male Vata types to enjoy regularly. However, the cacao can be overly stimulating and should be omitted, especially during times of high Vata (e.g. anxiety, sleep issues, restlessness, spacey, etc).
This drink is overall beneficial for Pitta types. It is mainly cooling and will be beneficial for excessive heat in the system. However, the honey should be replaced with an equal amount of maple syrup and one should favor fresh ginger over dry if possible.
This recipe can be a bit heavy for Kapha types, especially if Kapha if increased (e.g. congestion, excessive weight, white coating on the tongue, dull appetite, sluggishness). For this one should reduce the walnuts to 5, reduce the dates to 1-2 and omit the avocado and ghee. The chia seed can be replaced with flax seed. Dry ginger powder should be favored over fresh and the amount can be increased if desired. Cinnamon (about 1/2-1 tsp) and a large pinch of black pepper can be added to reduce any remaining heavy properties and to ignite the digestive fire.