Ginger is a well-known culinary spice worldwide and has been used for its medicinal benefits in Ayurveda for thousands of years. Among ginger’s multitude of health benefits, the most commonly known is its ability to increase the digestive force. Although ginger is an amazing digestive tonic, there are innumerable health benefits this healing root possesses that are a little more hidden to the naked eye.
Ginger is gentle enough to add to your daily regimen or else can be taken for symptomatic healing as needed. I personally cannot get enough of this delicious spice and incorporate it in my diet for multiple meals each day.
Health Benefits of Ginger
- Increases digestion while reducing gas and bloating
- Boost the metabolism
- Beneficial in weight loss
- Increases circulation, reduces stagnation
- Energizes the body and mind
- Reduces menstrual cramping
- Removes congestion
- Relieves nausea, making it wonderful for morning sickness as well as motion sickness
- Reduces stress and mental tension
- Powerful anti-inflammatory, making it a top choice in treating arthritis, allergies and asthma
- Powerful immune booster
- Reduces fever, flu, cough and colds
Here is a yummy way to bring this digestive powerhouse into your daily routine…
Ginger Tea Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp dry ginger OR 1 inch cube of peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1-2 lemon wedges
- Honey to taste
Boil the water and then take off of heat. Steep the ginger (fresh or dry) for 8-10 minutes and then strain. Once the tea has cooled to a drinkable temperature (about 100 degrees), then add honey and lemon to taste and enjoy! This drink can be taken 30 minutes before meals or routinely sipped on throughout the day to receive maximum health benefits.