During the colder seasons it is essential to find natural ways to keep your body warm and your immune system strong. This particular Ayurvedic tea recipe can be a great addition to your fall and winter days, especially during times of low immunity, low energy, and sluggish digestion. Made with three powerful Ayurvedic staples, Tulsi, Turmeric, and Ginger, this tea is very effective in fighting off pathogens, revving up your digestive fire, and flushing out toxins — all in one deliciously soothing cup!
Tulsi, Turmeric, & Ginger Tea will help to enhance circulation — warming you from your head to your toes! Although it is great for keeping sickness at bay, I often enjoy this tea routinely in my weekly winter regimen simply for how amazing it makes me feel after. The delicious, spicy taste is just icing on the cake; in fact this tea has so much flavor, sometimes I skip the honey altogether!
If your goal is the prevention or treatment of cold, flu, infection, sore throat, or fever, it is best to drink eight ounces at least 3 to 4 times a day (slightly reduce the amount of honey). If your goal is weight loss or detoxification, this tea can be a great complement to your program by drinking a cup first thing in the morning and again between meals. If you just love the flavor, this healing recipe can be enjoyed anytime throughout the cooler months of the fall and winter seasons.
Tulsi, Turmeric, & Ginger Tea Recipe
*Pitta types can utilize this tea during times of sickness as much as needed. If Pitta is in balance, they can enjoy this tea in moderation throughout the fall and winter seasons.
- Small sauce pan
- Fine mesh strainer
- Measuring spoon
- Ginger or cheese grater (chop the ginger finely if this is not available)
- 4 cups of water
- 2 heaping tablespoons loose leaf tulsi tea
- 2 to 3 heaping teaspoons of fresh ginger, finely chopped or grated (substitute with 1 to 2 teaspoons dry ginger if needed)
- 1 teaspoon fresh turmeric, grated (substitute with ½ teaspoon turmeric powder if needed)
- Honey to taste (optional)
1. Boil 4 cups of water in a sauce pan over high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer.
2. Add the tulsi, grated ginger, and turmeric. Stir well. Place the lid on the pan, leaving a slight crack.
3. Let these herbs steep and simmer for at least 15 minutes. Steep longer for a stronger flavor and more powerful health benefits.
4. Strain the tea into a mug. Once the temperature has cooled a bit, add in the honey* to taste (about 1 teaspoon per eight ounce cup).
5. Drink 1 to 4 cups daily during times of illness, flu season, detoxification, weight loss, or poor circulation… Or simply enjoy this healing tonic as desired anytime during the colder days of the fall and winter seasons!
*Honey should never be cooked or heated above 110 degrees as this process changes the molecular structure of the honey and makes it a toxic, unrecognizable substance to the body.
- Add in ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black peppercorn and/or 2 cinnamon sticks for extra spice, flavor, and healing benefits!
- If you are enjoying this tea during sickness, feel free to add in ½ of a lemon, freshly squeezed, after the heating process has been completed. Or simply add a small squeeze of lemon to your individual cup.
- If you prefer a more creamy finish, add a ½ cup of milk** at the same time the water has been added. Yum!!
**Avoid milk during illness, during weight loss, during detoxification, and when adding in lemon.