Since Kapha is the main dosha that is increased with excessive weight, the dietary regimen must focus on decreasing this imbalance (heaviness, adipose tissue, toxins, congestion, etc). This natural diet plan has been designed to reduce weight while increasing one’s digestion, energy, vitality and overall health. Please remember that you have to work gently without overwhelming the body or mind. Chose a handful of these to work with to begin and in a week or two, add on a few more recommendations to the diet plan. Be compassionate to yourself during this time, yet remain focused, dedicated and self-disciplined. Being consistent with this diet plan is the only way to get long-term weight loss results.
General Meal Plan for Weight Loss:
Specific Dietary Recommendations:
- Do not snack between meals! When the digestion/metabolism is low, eating between meals tends to increase weight gain, create toxic build-up in the system and wears down the pancreas (leading to insulin resistance).
- Do not eat after 7pm! This is a REALLY important to utilize during a weight-loss plan and for general health and vitality; I cannot stress how vital this is!
- Begin the day with an 8oz cup of warm water and lemon to cleanse the system and increase the metabolism.
- Drink ginger tea with a small amount of honey between meals or try my Tulsi, Turmeric and Ginger tea recipe.
- Do not drink beverages during meals, as this will weaken the digestive fire and create toxins in the system.
- Use heating spices in each meal; in fact all spices are great for Kapha types! Some of the best options include agni churna, dry ginger, turmeric, black pepper, trikatu, cumin, fenugreek, brown mustard seed and cinnamon.
- Take a digestive aid before each meal such as Agni Elixir, Kapha honey infusion, Digestive Tonic tincture, trikatu churna with honey or some ginger tea with honey and lemon.
- Avoid mindless eating such as eating while on the phone, working, in conversation or watching television; make it a habit to eat with awareness, focusing on each bite during a meal and remembering to chew each bite thoroughly.
- Avoid all iced beverages.
- Avoid overeating, only eat to your capacity leaving a bit of space for the digestion process; remember that the feeling of fullness does not come until about 10-15 minutes after the eating process.
- Avoid all dairy except goat milk and goat cheese (in moderation).
- Avoid all refined sugar, limit all other sugars (sweet fruits, honey, maple syrup, etc).
- Avoid all wheat and gluten.
- Avoid all refined grains (white bread, white rice, pasta).
- Avoid all processed and preserved foods.
- Avoid all fatty, fried foods.
- Avoid Improper Food Combinations; click here for a full chart.
Remember that 80% of weight-loss is related to our diet! Eating a healing diet as the one mentioned above will provide long-term changes, without drastic highs and lows, constance weight fluctuations or temporary weight loss changes.
Continue reading to discover more remedies for weight loss:
Schedule a Professional Ayurvedic Consultation today!