Ashwagandha has been called the “Indian Ginseng” of Ayurveda, and for much good reason. This starchy root is quite possibly the number one tonic for the nervous system, reproductive system and muscles. In a society of constant “go, go, go!”, Ashwagandha is definitely one of my most prescribed herbs that I use in my healthcare practice.
Ashwagandha is known as an adaptagen in herbal medicine, meaning that it has the ability to adapt the body to physical, environmental and emotional stress. Ashwagandha also carries the ability to balance the immune system; making this a great herbal choice for both weaken immunity, as well as autoimmune disorders (overactive immunity).
Ashwagandha is referred to as a rasayana or rejuvenative tonic in Ayurvedic medicine. This powerful root is known to rejuvenate and strengthen the tissues, making ashwagandha a great choice for muscle weakness and overall depletion. Ashwagandha is mainly used for Vata imbalances, as it is building and nourishing by nature. It is a great herb to take during times of overwork, exhaustion, stress and sexual debility.
Ashwagandha Health Benefits
- Useful in all Vata disorders
- Increases energy, strength and vitality
- Enhances the intellect, memory and concentration
- Used in rejuvenation therapy
- Strengthens and repairs muscle tissue
- Promotes sound sleep and relaxation
- Reduces stress
- Increases the libido and fertility
- Reduces pain and inflammation
- Useful in arthritic conditions
- Strengthens and nourishes the nervous system
- Used in nervous system disorders such as MS, ADHD, hyperactive disorders and nervous exhaustion
- Benefits asthma, allergies and cough
- Useful in lowered immunity
- Useful in autoimmune disorders
- Possesses anti-tumor properties
- Benefits anemia
- Useful in physical and mental exhaustion
- Regenerates hormones
- Helps to heal wounds and sores
How to Use Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha, like all herbs, can be taken in many different ways depending on the needs of the individual. Here are a couple ways to incorporate Ashwagandha into your daily routine:
1. General Ashwagandha Remedy
Take 1/2 tsp of Ashwagandha in 1/2 cup of warm water. Take this three times daily, after meals.
2. Ashwagandha Milk for Sleep
Boil one cup of milk** and remove from heat. Add 1 tsp of Ashwagandha and a large pinch of nutmeg. Once the heat has reduced a bit, add honey to taste. Stir thoroughly. Take this each night 30 minutes before bed to induce a sound, restful sleep.
**Organic whole milk is the best option, but almond or hemp milk can be substituted as needed.
3. Ashwagandha for Strength, Energy and Rejuvenation
Take 1/2 tsp of Ashwagandha and mix in 1 tsp of honey and 1/2 tsp of ghee. Wash down with warm water. Take this two times daily; first thing in the morning and again around 2-3pm.
Products with Ashwagandha
- Vata Massage Oil
- Prana Nasya
- Nidra Nasya
- Majja Ghrita
- Rasayana Ghrita
- CALM Tea
- Mind Tonic Tincture
- Sleep Easy Tincture
- Vata Churna
- Saraswati Churna