This quick, easy, and incredibly delicious homemade hemp milk is officially my latest addiction. This “milk” is packed with energizing omega-3s, hemp protein, and antioxidants and makes a great superfood, power-snack to get you through your day. The addition of digestive spices increases the absorption of these vital nutrients while enhancing the flavor.
This hemp milk would be known as Jivaniya or “life-giving” in Ayurveda, as it will give your body strength and vitality. It can be taken in any rejuvenation therapy, during times of Vata imbalance, or during times of depletion such as post-cleanse or post-illness. This nourishing, anti-aging recipe is great for increasing the essential Ojas in your system and enhancing your immunity, vitality, and energy. It can be used by all dosha types, but is most suitable for Vata and Pitta types, as it will increase Kapha (and toxins) in excess.
- Doshic effect: Vata↓, Pitta ↓, Kapha ↑↓*
- Vegan, Vegetarian
- Gluten-Free, Grain-Free
- Makes: 4 cups
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
*Kapha types can enjoy this recipe but should follow the doshic recommendations listed below the instructions.
- High-speed blender
- Tablespoon for measuring
- Fancy cup to drink out of (optional)
- 3 cups of water
- 4 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder (optional, omit for Vata types)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pitted and chopped date (optional; omit for Kapha)
- 1 teaspoon Rasayana Ghrita or Organic Ghee
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon*
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom*
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder*
- 2 to 3 saffron stigmas
- Pinch of turmeric*
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt or sea salt (optional)
1. Add the water to the blender.
2. Add the hemp seeds, chia seeds, cacao nibs, honey, ghee, spices, and salt (if used).
3. Blend on high for 2 to 4 minutes or until the milk is completely smooth and deliciously frothy.
4. Enjoy this creamy drink as a quick breakfast shake, a midday pick-me-up, or as a milk substitute for cereals and recipes.
5. Refrigerate any leftovers for up to 3 to 4 days. Separation may occur and is normal. Shake well before drinking.
Optional Doshic Variations
Vata types should avoid the cacao powder or replace it with a teaspoon of vanilla extract. If time permits, the chia seeds should be soaked in 1 cup of water for at least an hour before blending to avoid any potential dryness they tend to cause. Add both the soaking water and the chia seeds to the blender.
Pitta types should replace the honey with maple syrup or 1 to 2 pitted dates which tend to be more cooling. They can replace the ghee with coconut oil if preferred (although both are Pitta-reducing). If there are signs of excessive heat in the system, the cacao powder should be avoided.
This recipe is a great alternative to dairy milk for Kapha types. However, it is recommended to eliminate the ghee and date and increase the spices, especially the ginger powder and cinnamon.
Enjoy more energy-increasing Ayurvedic Recipes: