Ghee is greatly revered in the eyes of Ayurveda and has been used for thousands of years. It is seen as highly medicinal in its actions and can be taken with food to increase digestion; by itself to oiliate the internal body and loosen toxins; or infused in herbs to strengthen their medicinal properties. Here is a quick and easy recipe to make ghee in your own home with 5 easy steps.
- 1lb unsalted, organic butter
- Medium size pot (make sure it is completely clean and dry)
- Cheese cloth or a fine mesh strainer
- Unravel the butter and place it in the pan over medium heat to begin.
- Stir the butter occasionally until all the sticks have melted completely. Once this has happened, reduce the heat to low.
- Let the melted butter sit on low for about 20-30 minutes altogether. During this time you will notice a frothy white foam that will begin to form at the top. This is the milk solids separating from the oil, and can be removed with a clean, dry spoon periodically.
- Since each batch may vary on time, it is very important to begin to watch the ghee closely after about 20 minutes. You will begin to notice the cloudiness disappear until you are able to see through it like oil. The white foam will begin to settle at the bottom of the pan. Once the ghee is completely transparent and the curds at the bottom begin to brown ever so slightly, remove the ghee from the heat. If left on even a minute too long, the sensitive ghee may burn and be unusable.
- Once finished, let the ghee cool off for about 30 minutes. Then take a clean, dry pint jar and fill using the cheese cloth or a similar tool to strain out the milk solids completely. You will be left with a beautiful, golden, transparent oil that will eventually solidify once it cools to room temperature. There is no need to refrigerate the ghee, as it is one of the only substances that has an infinite shelf life and actually improves with age. However, make sure to use clean, dry utensils with each use, as ghee is susceptible to mold when it is mixed with even small amounts of food or water.
- Add to any dish to replace butter or oil
- Add to oatmeal and porridges
- Add to soups, stews and sautés
- Spread on toast or bagels
- Use to “butter” your popcorn
For rejuvenation and energy enhancement:
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 Tbsp honey
Mix together and take up to 3 times throughout the day, as needed. Follow with a small cup of warm water to help wash it down.
If you are looking for a detoxifying formula to take daily or aid in your cleanse, check out our Tikta Ghrita here.