Ojas, according to Ayurveda, is the biological energy that is responsible for our energy, vitality, longevity, immunity, softness and glow. During the fall and winter seasons, Vata tends to increase, depleting Ojas in the body and leaving one fatigued, unmotivated, dried out and prone to sickness. If you are suffering from feelings of depletion, this recipe is a great way to start to regain your vitality for the fall and winter to come.
This particular Ayurvedic recipe is extremely nourishing, sustaining and perfect for these chilly mornings. This oatmeal recipe really calms the nervous system and soothes the soul. Besides increasing one’s energy, immunity and vitality; this nutritious recipe is packed with vitamins, antioxidants, phytonutrients and loaded with healing properties. This meal is high in fiber, protein, healthy fats, iron, zinc, magnesium, manganese and copper. It is anti-inflammatory by nature while lowering cholesterol levels, reducing your risk for heart disease, balancing blood sugar levels and reducing your risk for obesity.
- Medium sauce pan
- Spoon for mixing
- Measuring cups
- 3 c water
- 1 c steel cut oats (can be replaced or mixed with buckwheat groats)
- 10-15 raisins
- 2 dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 dried figs, chopped
- 2 Tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp tahini or almond butter
- 1 tsp ghee (can be replaced with coconut oil)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- Pinch of ginger
- Pinch of clove
- Honey to taste
- Boil the water then reduce the heat to low. Add the steel cut oats, raisins, chopped dates, and chopped figs.
- Cook the oats, covered (leaving a slight crack to avoid overflow), for 30 minutes over low heat.
- Remove from heat and add the spices, coconut, tahini and ghee. Stir until everything is evenly mixed.
- Once the cooked oats are cooled a bit, add the honey to taste. Sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon if desired.
- Eat, enjoy and energize!
Although this is a nourishing healing recipe, I do not recommend this dish for anyone with increased toxins in the system. It is best to remove the toxins before increasing Ojas or eating heavy, unctuous meals such as this. Please read my article “Do you have Toxins in your System?” to find out if this recipe is right for you.
Schedule a Professional Ayurvedic Consultation today!