One of my favorite elements about the fall is being able to enjoy a warm glass of tea as I bundle up in a warm cozy blanket. This particular Ayurvedic tea recipe is exceptionally spectacular, as it is immune boosting, digestion enhancing, detoxifying, bug-killing, delicious goodness in one soothing cup. This tea is a great option in the cold weather, as all three herbs are heating by nature. This tea will help to keep your blood flowing, as constriction and cold hands and feet become more common. This recipe is also an amazing choice for the prevention or treatment of a cold, flu, infection or fever. During these times, it is best to drink 8 ounces at least 3-4 times a day and reduce the amount of honey used.
- Doshic effect: Vata↓, Pitta↑ , Kapha↓
- Serving: 3 servings (about 8-12 oz per serving)
- Time: 10 minutes, including prep time
- Small sauce pan
- Fine mesh strainer
- Measuring spoon
- Ginger or cheese grater (chop the ginger finely with a knife if this is not available)
- 4 cups of pure water
- 2 Tbsp. loose leaf tulsi tea
- 2-3 heaping tsp of fresh ginger, finely grated (substitute with 1 -2 tsp dry ginger if needed)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Honey to taste
- Boil 4 cups of water in a sauce pan on high heat. Once boiling, remove from heat.
- Add the tulsi, grated ginger and turmeric. Stir.
- Let these herbs steep for 6-8 minutes.
- Strain into a mug. Once the temperature has cooled a bit, add the honey to taste (about 2 tsp per 8oz). ***Honey should never be cooked or heated above 110 degrees as this process changes the molecular structure of the honey and makes it a toxic, unrecognizable substance to the body.
- Sip slowly while you bundle up by the fire and daydream… Or any other way you wish to enjoy this healing treat!