One of my favorite elements about the fall is being able to enjoy a warm cup of tea on a cold morning as I bundle up in a warm cozy blanket. This particular Ayurvedic tea recipe is exceptionally spectacular, as it is a powerful immune boosting, digestion enhancing, detoxifying tonic filled with delicious goodness in one soothing cup!
This tea is a great recipe in the cold weather, as all three herbs are warming by nature. This tea will help to enhance circulation, as cold hands and feet become more common. This recipe is also an amazing choice for the prevention or treatment of any cold, flu, infection, sore throat, or fever. During these times, it is best to drink 8 ounces at least 3 to 4 times a day and slightly reduce the amount of honey used.
Tulsi, Ginger, Turmeric Tea Recipe
- Doshic effect: Vata↓, Pitta↑*, Kapha↓
- Makes: 4 cups
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 to 15 minutes
*Pitta types can utilize this tea during times of sickness as much as needed. If Pitta is in balance, they can enjoy this tea in moderation throughout the fall and winter seasons.
- Small sauce pan
- Fine mesh strainer
- Measuring spoon
- Ginger or cheese grater (chop the ginger finely if this is not available)
- 4 cups of pure water
- 2 tablespoons loose leaf tulsi tea
- 2 to 3 heaping teaspoons of fresh ginger, finely grated (substitute with 1 to 2 teaspoons dry ginger if needed)
- 1 teaspoon fresh turmeric, grated (substitute with 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder)
- Honey to taste
1. Boil 4 cups of water in a sauce pan over high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer.
2. Add the tulsi, grated ginger, and turmeric. Stir well.
3. Let these herbs steep and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Strain the tea into a mug. Once the temperature has cooled a bit, add in the honey** to taste (1 to 2 teaspoons per 8 ounce cup).
5. Sip slowly while you bundle up by the fire and daydream… Or any other way you wish to enjoy this healing tonic!
**Honey should never be cooked or heated above 110 degrees as this process changes the molecular structure of the honey and makes it a toxic, unrecognizable substance to the body.