Here is a deliciously cleansing tonic that is sure to ignite your digestion and get your blood pumping! This recipe is a perfect complement to any cleanse program such as a Kitchari Cleanse, or can be taken any time your system is feeling a bit sluggish and in need of a boost. With multiple warming, flavorful ingredients, this drink recipe is a delightful way to help flush out toxins and enhance your overall energy and wellbeing.
Due to the nature of the ingredients (i.e. heating, stimulating, cleansing) this recipe is great for reducing Kapha and alleviating Kapha-related symptoms such as congestion, excessive weight, slow metabolism, and a foggy mind. It is beneficial for warming-up Vata and relieving symptoms such as gas, bloating, and constipation. Although it is overall heating, this recipe can be modified (see recommendations in recipe) and made suitable for Pitta types, especially when it is used during times of detoxification.
This recipe has been created for its cleansing effects; however, it can be a great complement during times of illness, weight loss, digestive distress, or simply for daily health and maintenance. In fact, it is so tasty, you may decide to sip and enjoy – just because!
Detox Tonic Recipe
- Doshic Effect: Vata↓, Pitta ↑↓*, Kapha ↓
- Makes: 8 cups (recipe can be doubled)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 to 60 minutes
*This recipe is overall heating; however, it can be used by Pitta types during times of detoxification or illness when made using the Pitta specific recommendations listed.
- Large stock pan (around 1 gallon is best)
- Cutting board and knife
- Measuring cup and spoons
- Spice grinder, blender, or mortar and pestle
- 8 cups of water
- 1 large beet cubed (1½ to 2 cups chopped)
- 5 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (use 2 cloves for Pitta)
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons finely minced or grated ginger
- 1½ teaspoons black peppercorns, whole (use ½ teaspoon for Pitta)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, whole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (use 1 tablespoon for Pitta)
- 1 lemon, juiced (use lime for Pitta)
1. Place the water in a large stock pan and bring it to a boil. Make sure to cover the pan to reduce the heating time.
2. While you are waiting, begin to chop the veggies and prepare the spices.
3. Chop the beet, celery, garlic, parsley, and cilantro. For the parsley and cilantro, you can use both the leaves and the stems.
4. As these veggies are chopped, begin to add them to the water, even if it has not come to a boil.
5. Begin to mince or grate the ginger to a fine pulp. Add this to the water.
6. Place the black peppercorns and fennel seed in a spice grinder and grind to a fine powder. Add this to the pan. If a grinder is not available a blender or a mortar and pestle can be used.
7. Once the water has come to a boil, reduce the heat to a low temperature. Steep here for at least 60 minutes.* Keep the pan covered, leaving only a slight crack. Stir every 15 minutes.
*If time is short, you can increase the heat to medium-low and steep for 30 minutes.
8. Strain the ingredients out using a mesh strainer or cheese cloth.
9. Add in the fresh lemon juice, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar and stir well.
10. Serve this tonic warm in a mug. This drink can be taken regularly when detoxification is needed, during illness, or anytime your system needs a little boost!
11. Any extra can be refrigerated in an airtight jar and stored for up to 5 days.
Health Tip: Get the most out of your cleanse by taking one cup of this Detox Tonic each morning on an empty stomach, one cup between breakfast and lunch, and another cup between lunch and dinner. Be consistent for the most noticeable effects!