Another Ayurvedic favorite of mine! This nourishing and grounding drink is a lovely way to end the day. Golden milk is great for calming Vata dosha, which has a tendency to become unbalanced during winter and fall months. However, this nourishing tonic can be taken at any time of year!
This drink recipe is calming for the mind and healing to the body. With all of the warming spices added, Golden Milk is a great way to increase the digestion and circulation. Golden Milk’s health properties don’t end there however. This soothing tonic has also been shown to strengthen the bones (great for treating or preventing osteoarthritis), reduce symptoms of anemia, increases ojas (immunity and vitality), cleanse the blood, and beautify the complexion. Due to its naturally grounding properties, I often recommend taking this drink before bedtime to promote sound sleep (add a pinch of Ashwagandha for even greater sleep enhancing results!).
- Small saucepan
- Hand blender (optional)
- 1 cup whole milk or unsweetened almond milk (use almond milk for Kapha)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ashwagandha powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 saffron stigmas
- 1/2 teaspoon ghee (omit for Kapha)
- 1 teaspoon honey
NOTE: If one cup of milk is too much, substitute by using ½ cup milk to ½ cup water.
1. Place the milk and water in a small sauce pan and bring it to just below a boil.
3. Once the milk has become hot, reduce the heat to a simmer.
4. Add the turmeric, ashwagandha (if used), ginger, cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon stick, saffron, and ghee to the heated milk. Stir the spices well until they have all completely dissolved into the liquid.
5. Cover the pan, leaving a small crack in the lid.
6. Simmer the ingredients for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
7. Pour the finished beverage into a mug. Let the milk cool to a drinkable temperature and then stir in 1 teaspoon of honey.
8. Sip on this beverage up to 30 minutes before bed each night for a calm mind and sound sleep.
Time-Saving Tip: If you are short for time, a quick method can be used. Simply heat up the milk (omit the water) until it is just below a boil. Reduce the heat and add in the spices and ghee. Stir well and simmer for 1 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour into a mug and add in 1 teaspoon of honey after the milk has cooled slightly.
Optional Doshic Variations
This drink is naturally Vata-reducing, no changes are needed!
Overall this drink recipe is Pitta-pacifying; however, some Pitta types may need to reduce or eliminate the more heating spices such as cinnamon, black pepper, and ginger. Honey is also heating and can be replaced with maple syrup. To enhance the Pitta-soothing nature of this drink and increase its overall health benefits, 1/2 teaspoon of Shatavari powder can be added instead of the Ashwagandha.
This drink recipe is considered increasing to Kapha dosha, although some changes can be applied to help reduce the heavy, viscous nature of this drink. Cow dairy should be avoided and replaced with either goat milk, almond milk, or hemp milk. If this is still too heavy for Kapha, then the milk should be cut in half and replaced with water (i.e. 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup of water) and the ghee should be omitted. The spices should be increased to help spark the digestive fire and reduce the Kapha-increasing qualities of this beverage. If one makes these changes and still experiences symptoms such as congestion, cough, or a coated tongue after drinking, then this drink should be avoided altogether.