Amalaki is an essential herb in Ayurvedic medicine and possesses a variety of healing properties. It is one of the three herbs in the traditional Ayurvedic formula known as Triphala Churna. Amalaki is one of the most potent herbal rejuvenatives used in Ayuveda, as it is rich in both Vitamin C and powerful antioxidants. In fact, Amalaki contains more Vitamin C than any other fruit in the entire world! Besides its rejuvenation properties, Amalaki is also used for its cleansing, liver healing and mild laxative benefits.
Although Amalaki has a wide range of health benefits, it is mainly used to treat Pitta imbalances, liver disorders, digestive issues and general depletion. It is considered a powerful tonic due to its ability to rejuvenate and regenerate all seven vital tissues of the body; increasing one’s energy, vitality and immunity (Ojas). Another name for Amalaki is “Dhatri” which means “mother”, showing just how nurturing and healing this sour fruit can be.
Amalaki is also a rejuvenate to the hair, and can be taken both internally and applied externally for this purpose. Amalaki is known for increasing the growth of the hair, treating hair loss and preventing premature greying. For these reasons, it is a main ingredient in most Ayurvedic hair oils, and can be massaged onto the hair and scalp each night before bed. I personally use this often on my own hair, and have noticed instantly the shine and nourishment it provides!
Health Benefits of Amalaki
- Treats many Pitta imbalances
- Treats all liver disorders including hepatitis, excessive bile, inflammation and toxic build-up
- Increases liver and spleen energy
- Cleanses the blood
- Promotes elimination (mild laxative)
- Extremely high in Vitamin C
- Powerful Antioxidant
- Anti-aging properties
- Increases Ojas
- Boosts energy and immunity
- Increase the growth of the hair
- Prevents hair loss
- Prevents premature greying
- Reduces acidity
- Treats inflammatory or bleeding disorders in the GI tract
- Regulates the blood sugar; beneficial in diabetes
- Increase the libido
- Treats sexual dysfunction
- Heart tonic
- Treats arrhythmia and palpitations
- Reduces high cholesterol
- Beneficial in anemia
- Treats eye inflammation and infection (use as an eyewash)
- Improves eyesight
- Reduces stress
- Increases memory and intellect
How to Use Amalaki
1. For hair health:
Massage amalaki oil onto the scalp and hair 2-3 nights each week. Increases growth, adds shine and nourishes dry hair. For extreme hair loss apply the amalaki oil nightly.
2. For energy and rejuvenation:
Mix 1/2 tsp of amalaki powder in 1 tsp of honey and 1/2 tsp of ghee. Take twice daily for rejuvenation therapy or times of low energy.
3. For liver health:
Take 1/4 tsp of amalaki and 1/8 tsp of turmeric mixed in 1 Tbsp of aloe juice and 1/2 cup of warm water. Take this consistently 3 times daily before meals for at least 30 days.
4. For cleansing and elimination:
Mix 1/2 tsp of Triphala Churna in 1/2 cup of warm water. Steep for 5 minutes, but do NOT strain. Drink 30 minutes each night before bed. Read more about Triphala’s health benefits here.