Turmeric, admittedly one of my most favorite herbs, is steadily becoming more and more popular here in the West. Whether used as a culinary spice or herbal medicine, this bright, beautiful creation of nature has a multitude of health benefits hidden within.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
- Cleanses the liver and the blood
- Increase the digestive fire
- Burns toxins
- Increases circulation
- Prevents Alzheimer’s
- Great for skin disorders such as eczema and psoriasis
- Beautifies the complexion
- Regulates the blood sugar
- Relieves arthritis and other inflammatory conditions
- Increases heart health
So how do you incorporate Turmeric in your daily life? Easy! You can add it to any dish such as soups, rice, bean dishes, eggs, oatmeal, veggie sautés, casseroles and stews. To get a larger dose of it you can mix a little in some raw honey and take it 2-3 times daily. One of my personal favorite ways to get my daily dose of turmeric is a simple, yet delicious recipe known as Golden Milk.
How to Use Turmeric
1. For liver and blood detoxification:
2. For beautifying the complexion:
- 1/2 cup slightly warm water
- 2 Tbsp of organic aloe juice (Lakewood brand is my favorite)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder*
- 1/4 tsp manjistha
- 1/8 tsp neem
Instructions: Mix the herbs and aloe in the warm water. Steep for 5 minutes, stir and drink. Follow with warm water. Take this 2-3 times a day, before meals for at least 30 days.
3. For balancing blood sugar levels:
Mix 1/4 tsp of turmeric, 1/4 tsp of shardunika (aka gurmar) and 1/4 tsp of karella (aka bittermelon) in 1/2 cup of warm water. Take three times daily before meals.
4. For prevention (or treatment) of Alzheimer’s Disease:
For prevention of Alzheimer’s, take 1/4-1/2 tsp of turmeric with 1/2 tsp of Majja Ghrita twice daily. Take once in the morning on an empty stomach and again around 2-3pm between meals. For treatment of Alzheimer’s, take an additional time (so three times daily), the last dosage being before bed.