In order to keep balanced, it is recommended that raw, cold foods should be avoided by Vata individuals, anyone with a Vata imbalance (anxiety, insomnia, gas, bloating, etc), and all body-types during the cooler seasons of fall and winter. Since smoothies are generally of the raw and cold nature, this means that most smoothies are not recommended at these times. However, with the proper ingredients, we can eliminate these unwanted qualities and instead create a warm, easy-to-digest smoothie that is grounding, nourishing, and balancing for Vata types, Vata disorders, and the colder months.
Sweet potatoes are an extremely nutrient-rich root veggie consumed regularly by some of the healthiest, longest living societies in the world. The steamed sweet potatoes in this recipe with provide you with vitamins A, B, and C, manganese, magnesium, copper, potassium, carotenoids, fiber, and antioxidants. With a strong dose of probiotics and a handful of warming spices, this smoothie is very beneficial for your digestion and will promote healthy elimination as well.
Overall this delicious Vata-reducing smoothie is strengthening, energizing, and immune boosting, yet it is simultaneously soothing for your mind and nervous system. It can be taken to alleviate constipation, reduce anxiety, and calm a restless mind. With the high level of vitamins, antioxidants, and healthy fats, this smoothie is excellent for beautifying the complexion and boosting the eye health, brain health, and heart health. This sweet potato smoothie is a great option to eat as a nourishing breakfast or a healthy snack for Vata types (and Pitta too!) during the fall and winter seasons.
VATA-REDUCING SMOOTHIE RECIPE
- Doshic effect: Vata ↓,Pitta ↓, Kapha ↑
Makes: 2 cups
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 10 to 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped sweet potato
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt or kefir (homemade is best!)
- Fresh ginger (1 inch cube), minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 saffron stigmas
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons honey
1. Place a steam basket into a medium sauce pan. Pour about 2 inches of water into the pan. The water level should be directly below the bottom of the steam basket for the best steam. Bring the water to a boil as you begin to chop the sweet potato.
2. Chop the sweet potato into small, fairly even cubes about 1/2 inch in size.
3. Add the sweet potato to the steam basket and cover the pan. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until the sweet potato is completely soft all the way through.
4. As you steam the potato, begin to prepare the remaining ingredients.
5. Add the almond milk, yogurt, minced ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric, saffron, vanilla, and honey to the blender.
6. Once the sweet potato is cooked, add them into the blender.
7. Blend on high for 2 to 4 minutes and serve.
8. Serve warm with a sprinkle of cinnamon over the top. Enjoy this smoothie during the fall and winter seasons to aid in digestion, calm the mind, ground the energy, and balance out Vata.