If you are familiar at all with Ayurveda, you will know that its number one focus and goal is to establish a healthy and robust digestive fire. There are multiple ways to go about this, and the more severe your digestive issues may be, the more changes that will need to be made. It is important to avoid too many changes at once however, and this can be established by utilizing some simpler remedies, while slowly trying to make the more difficult changes in your diet and lifestyle. This ginger appetizer is a perfect addition to any digestive health regimen, as it is quick to prepare and contains accessible ingredients. It possesses a wide range of health benefits, but of course the main benefits are to boost the digestion, increase the metabolism and burn those toxins!
Ginger is one of the most classical and commonly used digestive aids in traditional medicine. Fresh ginger is beneficial for all dosha types including Pitta, since it is initially warming but carries a cooling and sweet post-digestive effect in the body (unlike dry ginger which is HOT, HOT, HOT!). Here is a list of the wide range of healing properties this spicy root provides.
Health Benefits of Ginger:
- Increases digestion while reducing gas and bloating
- Increasing the absorption of vital nutrients; treats malabsorption issues
- Boost the metabolism
- Beneficial in weight loss
- Increases circulation, reduces stagnation
- Energizes the body and mind
- Reduces menstrual cramping
- Removes congestion
- Relieves nausea, making it wonderful for morning sickness as well as motion sickness
- Reduces stress and mental tension
- Powerful anti-inflammatory, making it a top choice in treating arthritis, allergies and asthma
- Powerful immune booster
- Reduces fever, flu, cough and colds
- Increases potency of other herbs (Yoga Vahi)
- Considered a satvic herb, meaning peaceful and balanced
The lime also adds essential digestive enzymes and the honey possess a powerful “scraping” property. Taking all of these ingredients together increases their potency even further, as they harmoniously work together to heal the body (and mind!). It is recommended to take this “digestive appetizer” before meals, as it prepares the Agni, or digestive fire, increasing its power before food comes.
This remedy can be taken as needed for milder, less frequent digestive complaints. However, when dealing with more severe or chronic cases, it is strongly encouraged to take this consistently, within 30 minutes before each meal.
- 1 thin slice of fresh ginger
- ¼ of a fresh lime
- Honey (preferably raw)
- Pinch of salt (mineral or sea)
- Cut a thin slice of the ginger root. This should be about 1/2 the thickness of a quarter (unless you prefer it to be thicker). Remember that fresh ginger is fairly spicy, so you may need a pretty thin slice to begin!
- Add a drop of honey onto the ginger slice. This should cover most of the ginger.
- Squeeze the fresh lime juice on top of this and add a pinch of salt.
- Take this 15-30 minutes before each meal to increase digestion, promote absorption and reduce gas, bloating and abdominal cramping. Works best if taken consistently for chronic issues!
More Ayurvedic Digestive Aids with Ginger:
- Agni Elixir
- Digestive Tonic Tincture
- Vata Honey Infusion
- Pitta Honey Infusion
- Kapha Honey Infusion
- Healthy Digestion Tea
Schedule a professional Ayurvedic Consultation today!