Another Ayurvedic favorite of mine! This nourishing and grounding drink is a lovely way to end the day. Golden milk is great for calming Vata dosha, which has a tendency to become unbalanced during winter and fall months. However, this nourishing tonic can be taken at any time of year!
This drink recipe is calming for the mind and healing to the body. With all of the heating spices added, Golden Milk is a great way to increase digestion and circulation. A few other health properties of Golden Milk include: Strengthens bones, beneficial to anemia, increases ojas (immunity and vitality), cleanses the blood, and beautifies the complexion. I recommend taking this drink before bedtime to enhance a sound night of sleep.
- Small saucepan
- Hand blender (or a regular blender)
- 1 cup organic whole milk (can be substituted with almond or hemp milk)
- 1 tsp. Organic Ghee or coconut oil
- ¼ to ½ tsp. organic turmeric powder**
- Large pinch of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom powder**
- Small pinch of saffron (optional but highly recommended!)
- Raw honey to taste
NOTE: If one cup of milk is too much, you can substitute by using ½ cup milk to ½ cup water.
- Warm milk in a small pan over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once warm, slowly add the ghee and spices while continuing to stir. Mix until there are no chunks and the powder has fully absorbed into the milk. If you have a hand blender, this works particularly well and it also creates a yummy frothy texture.
- Remove from heat and let cool to a drinkable temperature. Once the temp has cooled to about 110 degrees, add a small spoonful of honey to the desired sweetness. Top off with a sprinkle of extra cinnamon.
- Sit, sip, and enjoy!!
***Due to the thick and heavy qualities of the milk, I do NOT recommend this drink to anyone with excessive toxins in their system. Click here to see if you show signs of toxins in your system.