Ojas is the subtle essence of the seven vital tissues of the body. It is said to govern our immunity, energy, and vitality. When you have strong, healthy Ojas, you are able to fight against aging, degeneration, and disease. You will have sustainable energy, strong immunity, a healthy glow, and a robust libido. If you find yourself lacking in any of these categories, you may have depleted or imbalanced Ojas in your system.
This delicious, almond based drink is one way to increase healthy Ojas, restoring your energy and vigor. It is great to drink first thing in the morning for breakfast to enhance stamina and vitality for the day ahead. This drink is perfect during the rejuvenating phase after a cleanse, but can be taken 2 to 3 times a week otherwise.
Rejuvenating Ojas Drink Recipe
*See the Optional Doshic Guidelines below the recipe to make this drink more Kapha-reducing.
- High speed blender
- 15 almonds, soaked and peeled
- 1½ cups water
- 2 medjool dates, pitted and soaked
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon rose petals (dried or fresh)
- 3 saffron stigmas
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon honey
1. Soak the almonds in a cup of water for at least 2 to 4 hours to soften the skins for easy removal. Almonds can be soaked overnight if preferred.
2. Place the pitted dates in the 1½ cups of water that will be used for this recipe. Soak for at least 30 minutes. This will make the dates easier to blend. Do not discard the date soaking water as it will be added to the final recipe.
3. Once the almonds have been soaked thoroughly, strain them and discard the water. Peel the almonds by squeezing each one with your index finger and thumb. This should allow easy removal.
4. Place the peeled almonds, soaked dates, and the date water into a blender.
5. Add the ginger, turmeric, cardamom, rose petals, saffron, vanilla, ghee, and honey.
6. Blend on high for 3 to 5 minutes making sure that a completely smooth texture has been reached. If there are almond chunks that will not blend, you can strain the drink through a fine mesh strainer.
7. Vata and Pitta types can enjoy this shake as an energizing breakfast or a rejuvenating snack. Due to the heavy and sweet nature of this drink, however, it is recommended to only take this almond shake up to 3 times weekly.
Health Tip: This is a great recipe for taking after a cleanse, after illness, or anytime there is depletion to help regain energy and strength. For these purposes, take this recipe 2 to 3 times a week for four weeks, or until the energy and vitality have returned.
Optional Doshic Variations
This recipe is balancing for Vata types and Vata imbalances. No changes needed!
Overall this recipe is balancing for Pitta types. If needed, replace the honey (which is heating) with maple syrup and the dry ginger for equal parts of finely grated fresh ginger.
This recipe can be slightly increasing for Kapha. To make this drink more Kapha-friendly the dates can either be omitted completely or reduced to one single date. The ghee should be omitted completely. The amount of ginger powder should be doubled, and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder can be added. To make it extra energizing, add in 1 teaspoon of cacao powder (optional).
NOTE: If you have a high level of toxins (ama) in the body, this drink is not for you. Some clear indications of this are a coated tongue, poor circulation, dull mind, dull appetite, and a persistent feeling of heaviness.