With an expensive cost, but a truly unique and powerful action, Saffron is undoubtably one of Ayurveda’s most prized herbal treasures. Saffron is said to possess a Sattvic (pure) quality due to its ability to balance all three doshas and increase peace, love, happiness, devotion and compassion in an individual. Although its list of health benefits is immense, saffron is most noted for its ability to boost the mood, heal the nervous system, rejuvenate the tissues and nourish the reproductive organs.
Just like its wide variety of healing properties, saffron is equally as versatile in its uses. Some of the most common ways to use saffron include as a spice, milk decoction, herbal tea infusion, cool water infusion, medicated ghee, medicated oil or crushed and blended into various herbal formulas. Each method possesses their own specific actions and can be utilized to target the area of healing you are in need of most. **Keep reading to find out the best way to take saffron for your needs!
Health Benefits of Saffron
- Rejuvenates the vital tissues
- Promotes happiness, peace, love and compassion
- Boosts the mood
- Reduces sadness, grief, depression, anxiety, anger and other emotional imbalances
- Nourishes the reproductive system
- Increases fertility and libido (both men and women)
- Treats erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation
- Treats dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation) and amenorrhea (absence of menstruation)
- Beneficial for healing the uterus during the postpartum period
- Beautifies the complexion (both internal and external use)
- Treats skin disorders such as acne, eczema, vitiligo and hyper-pigmentation
- Balances all three doshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha)
- Reduces inflammation
- Reduces pain including nerve, lumbar (lower back) and rheumatic pain
- Alleviates headache
- Treats most degenerative neurological disorders (Vata in the nervous system) such as Parkinson’s and MS
- Treats cough, asthma, fever and vomiting
- Increases the Agni (digestive fire)
- Treats symptoms of indigestion
- Alleviates chronic diarrhea
- Increases heart health
- Reduces cholesterol levels
- Stimulates circulation
- Increases metabolism
- Increases hemoglobin levels, beneficial in anemia
- Beneficial for eye disorders and poor eyesight (both internal and external use)
- Powerful antioxidant properties
- Anti-cancer (for prevention only)
The Best Ways to Use Saffron For Your Specific Needs
For women’s reproductive health:
Bring 1 cup of milk to just below a boil and then turn the heat to a simmer. Add in 1 tsp of shatavari powder and 3 stigmas of saffron. Stir well and steep for 5 minutes stirring every 30-60 seconds. Once the 5 minutes is up, pour the mixture into a mug (do not strain) and drink this before bed each night to treat fertility issues, low libido, depleted lactation, postpartum symptoms (including postpartum depression!), menopausal symptoms, painful menstruation or amenorrhea (lack of menstruation).
For men’s reproductive health:
Bring 1 cup of milk to just below a boil and then turn the heat to a simmer. Add in 1 tsp of ashwagandha powder and 3 stigmas of saffron. Stir well and steep for 5 minutes stirring every 30-60 seconds. Once the 5 minutes is up, pour the mixture into a mug (do not strain) and drink this before bed each night to treat infertility, premature ejaculation, impotence and low libido.
For overall rejuvenation:
Bring 1 cup of milk to just below a boil and then turn the heat to a simmer. Add in 3 stigmas of saffron and 1 tsp of ghee. Stir well and steep for 5 minutes stirring every 30-60 seconds. Once the 5 minutes is up, pour the mixture into a mug (do not strain) and let the milk cool to about 100 degrees. Once cooled, stir in 1 tsp of honey. Drink this before bed each night during times of low Ojas, depletion, post-cleansing period or any other indication for rejuvenation therapy.
For boosting the mood and balancing the emotions:
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add in 3-5 stigmas of saffron and 1 Tbsp of brahmi leaf. Steep here for about 10 minutes or until the liquid has reduced to 1 cup. Strain and drink 2-3 times daily during times of grief, sadness, depression, anxiety or excessive anger and frustration. **This recipe can be multiplied as needed!
For beautifying the complexion and treating skin disorders:
Boil 1 cup of water and then take the pan off of the heat. Add in 3-5 stigmas of saffron and steep for 5 minutes. Stir well and pour the infusion into a mug but do not strain. Drink one cup of this saffron tea first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and again before bed.
**It is also recommend to apply a saffron infused oil or ghee to the face or effected area each night before bed.
For digestive health:
Boil 3 cups of water in a small pan and reduce the heat to a simmer. Add in 1 Tbsp of freshly grated ginger and 7-9 stigmas of saffron and stir well. Steep for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain the mixture and drink 1 cup of the infusion 30 minutes before each meal. Be consistent for best results! **1 tsp of honey can be added per cup once the tea has cooled to about 100 degrees or lower.
For strengthening the eye sight and treating eye issues:
Add 1 Tbsp of organic dried rose petals and 3 large stigmas of saffron to 1/2 cup of cool water. Let this mixture sit overnight. In the morning strain the herbs out of the water. Then take an eye cup and fill it with the cold infusion. Carefully place the filled cup over the right eye as you tilt your head back. Allow the infusion to penetrate for 1-3 minutes as you keep your right eye open. Repeat for the same amount of time on the left eye, making sure to use fresh infusion water and a clean eye cup.