Here is a twist on our original Rejuvenating Ojas Drink that has been created with a strong focus on female health. This delicious drink recipe will provide a woman nourishment at any stage of life as the ingredients will benefit everything from fertility, libido, menstrual irregularities, PMS, menopausal symptoms, bladder health, pregnancy, lactation, and postpartum. Due to the large amount of Ojas-increasing ingredients, this recipe is a female-essential for increasing energy, immunity and overall vitality!
This female tonic is filled with a wide variety of healing properties to nurture a woman’s needs and can be enjoyed routinely. It is filled with many female-health specific nutrients including calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, potassium, vitamin E, vitamin Bs, omega 3s, fiber, protein, and antioxidants. It can be enjoyed by all body-types (i.e. Vata, Pitta, Kapha), although the proper doshic recommendations listed below the recipe should be followed as needed (especially for Kapha types!).
Women’s Ojas Drink Recipe
- Doshic effect: Vata↓, Pitta↓, Kapha↑*
- Makes: 16 ounces
- Prep Time: 10 to 15 minutes (plus additional soaking time)
- Gluten-Free, Vegetarian (can be made vegan)
*See doshic variations at the bottom of the page to make this dish more Kapha-friendly!
Health Benefits of Women’s Ojas Drink
- Promotes healthy estrogen levels
- Supports bone health
- Reduces anemia
- Regulates menstruation
- Reduces PMS symptoms
- Supports a healthy pregnancy and easeful labor
- Essential during the postpartum period for rejuvenating the reproductive tissue and reducing overall depletion
- Promotes lactation
- Calms and prevents hot flashes (Pitta recommendations listed below the recipe should be followed)
- Beautifies the skin and hair
- Reduces signs of aging
- Supports healthy digestion and elimination
- Boosts the mood
- Promotes healthy fertility
- Enhances the libido
- Increase energy, immunity and vitality (Ojas)
- Reduces Vata imbalances (anxiety, dryness, depletion, etc)
- High speed blender (the Vitamix or Blendtec work best)
- Measuring spoons and cups
- 1 cup water
- 2 to 3 pitted medjool dates soaked in 1/2 cup of water (make sure to measure out the water as it will be added to the drink)
- 15 almonds, soaked and peeled (water will be discarded)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds (substitute with 1 teaspoon raw tahini)
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 teaspoon Shatavari powder (omit during pregnancy, but recommended for postpartum and while breastfeeding)
- 1/4 teaspoon licorice root powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced ginger or 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger
- 2 teaspoons dried organic rose petals
- 3 to 5 saffron stigmas
- 1 teaspoon cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ghee (substitute with coconut oil if needed)
IMPORTANT NOTE: The shatavari, licorice, and flax seed should be avoided by any woman experiencing elevated estrogen levels (estrogen dominance). The flax seed can be replaced with 1 teaspoon of chia seeds if desired.
1. Soak the dates in 1/2 cup of water overnight, making sure to remove the pits. If a speed soak is needed, use hot water and soak for a minimum of 1 hour. Save the soaking water as it will be added to the final recipe.
2. Place the almonds in water and soak overnight. Remove the skins in the morning by simply applying a bit of pressure with the finger tips. They should pop right off. If a speed soak is needed, use hot water and soak for a minimum of 1 hour or as long as needed to remove the skins easily. The soaking water should be discarded.
3. Once the soaking ingredients are ready, add the entire list of ingredients to a high speed blender. Please remember to use the 1/2 cup of date water, but discard the almond water. There will be a total of 1 1/2 cups of water in the final recipe.
4. Blend the ingredients on high for 2 to 4 minutes depending on the strength of your blender. Ideally the texture should be completely smooth and creamy.
5. Enjoy this recipe as a woman’s health tonic 2 to 5 days a week. It is recommended to drink regularly during times of pregnancy, postpartum, breastfeeding, menopause, menstrual irregularities, low libido, low fertility, anemia, and general depletion.
Optional Doshic Variations
This recipe is overall balancing for Vata dosha. It is building (anabolic), rejuvenating, strengthening, and lubricating making it an excellent tonic for female Vata types to enjoy regularly. However, the cacao can be overly stimulating and should be omitted, especially during times of high Vata (e.g. anxiety, sleep issues, restlessness, spacey, etc).
This drink is overall beneficial for Pitta types. It is mainly cooling and will be beneficial for excessive heat in the blood, hot flashes, night sweats, etc. However, the sesame seeds (or tahini) are heating and should be omitted, the honey and molasses should be replaced with an equal amount of maple syrup and one should favor fresh ginger over dry if possible.
This recipe can be a bit heavy for Kapha types, especially if Kapha if increased (e.g. congestion, excessive weight, white coating on the tongue, dull appetite, sluggishness). For this one should reduce the almonds to 10, reduce the dates to one and omit the avocado and ghee. The flax seed can be doubled. Dry ginger powder should be favored over fresh and the amount can be increased to 1/2 teaspoon. A large pinch of black pepper can be added to reduce any remaining heavy properties and ignite the digestive fire.