Brahmi (Bacopa) is a legendary Ayurvedic herb for treating mental illness, emotional imbalance, addiction issues and nervous system disorders. It is considered a nervine or medhya in the world of Herbology, as it awakens the mind while calming the nervous system. Although tri-doshic, Brahmi is especially beneficial for Pitta disorders due to its cooling and cleansing action on the body and mind.
Brahmi is a powerful herb to take during the treatment of addiction issues including drug, alcohol, tobacco, food, sugar and sex addictions. Its effect on the brain and the nervous system help to reduce the cravings and calm the emotional eruption that occurs during the withdrawal process. Brahmi can be taken as a powder, tea, medicated ghee or tincture throughout this time. Alternatively or in addition, it can also be used as a dhuma or medicated smoking mixture.
Brahmi is a wonderful herb for opening the mind, enhancing the intellect and promoting spiritual growth. Brahmi tea can be taken before meditation or Yoga to help deepen one’s practice. As a brain tonic, Brahmi’s effects can be increased when taken together with Ashwagandha (see below for remedy). With all of these powerful health benefits, it’s no wonder that Brahmi is one of the main herbs for the brain, mind and nervous system. Try drinking a cup of Brahmi tea each day for 30 days and feel the powerful, mental rejuvenation for yourself!
Health Benefits of Brahmi:
- Increases the intellect
- Boosts the memory and concentration
- Brain tonic
- Balances the emotions especially anxiety, depression, anger and irritation
- Reduces stress
- Opens the mind
- Beneficial in a meditation/spiritual practice
- Useful in the treatment of addiction (drug, alcohol, food, sugar, sex)
- Rejuvenative, especially for the mind and nervous system
- Balances mental illness
- Useful in nervous system disorders such as Parkinson’s, ADHD, autism, dementia and Alzheimer’s
- Increase energy and strength
- Heart tonic
- Cleanses the blood, kidneys and liver
- Reduces cystitis (UTI)
- Treats constipation
- Heals skin issues, especially with Pitta involvement (i.e. acne, rash, hives, eczema, psoriasis)
- Beneficial for premature greying and balding (try my Revitalizing Hair Oil)
How to use Brahmi:
- As a Brain Tonic: Take 1/2 tsp of Brahmi and 1/2 tsp of Ashwagandha. Add this combination to 1/2 cup of heated water and 1/2 cup of warm organic whole milk; steep for 15 minutes over low heat. Drink this mixture each morning and again before bed.
- For emotional balance and opening the mind: Boil 3 cups of water. Add 1 Tbsp of Brahmi leaves and 1 Tbsp of Tulsi leaves (or OM Shanti tea) and turn the heat to low. Drink this infusion throughout the day for at least 1 month. Additionally, take 5 dropper-fulls of Calm, Clarity, Rejuvenation tincture mixed in 1/2 cup of warm water. Take 3 times daily, after meals.
- For healing addiction issues: Mix 1 tsp of Majja Ghrita or Brahmi ghee in 1/2 cup of warm water until melted. Take 3 times daily after meals. A smoking mixture can also be made of brahmi, sage, jatamansi and rose petals. This can be smoked as a rolled “cigarette”, from a vaporizer or from a glass pipe. This mixture can be used during the withdrawal phase to cope with the mental imbalance and the cravings. Purchase these herbs here.
- For ADHD: Mix 1 tsp of Majja Ghrita or Brahmi ghee in 1/2 cup of warm water until melted. Take 2 times daily, first thing in the morning (6-8am) and again between 2-3pm. Additionally, drink 1-3 cups of Brahmi tea or OM Shanti tea each day.
- For UTI: Take 1/2 tsp of Brahmi powder, 1/4 tsp of coriander powder, 1/8 tsp neem and 1/8 tsp of turmeric. Mix in 1/2 cup of warm water. Add 2 Tbsp of Aloe Vera Juice. Take this mixture 3 times daily, before meals to treat or prevent a UTI.
- For stress reduction: Take 5 droppers of Calm, Clarity, Rejuvenation tincture mixed in 1/2 cup of warm water. Take 3 times daily, after meals. Additionally, drink 1-3 cups of Brahmi tea or OM Shanti tea each day.
- Headache/Migraine: Rub the forehead, scalp and around the ears with warm Brahmi Oil or Kapha Oil. Massage each area for 3-5 minutes. After this, lie down and cover the eyes for 15 minutes. Additionally, drink 1 cup of Brahmi, Tulsi, Ginger tea every 2-3 hours or as needed during acute symptoms or 1-2 cups daily for prevention.
- Skin issues: Massage warm Brahmi Oil or Pitta Oil over any effected area. For best results, apply this oil before bed each night to let it soak in over night. Additionally, take 1/2 tsp of Brahmi powder, 1/8 tsp neem and 1/8 tsp of turmeric. Mix in 1/2 cup of warm water. Add 1-2 Tbsp of Aloe Vera Juice. Take this mixture 3 times daily with meals.
Specialty Products with Brahmi:
- Majja Ghrita
- Calm, Clarity, Rejuvenation Tincture
- OM Shanti tea
- Women’s Balance Blend
- Pitta Massage Oil
- Revitalizing Hai Oil
- Organic Brahmi leaves (bulk)
Schedule a Professional Ayurvedic Consultation today!