With digestion being the ultimate factor of health and disease, we must do all we can to keep our digestive fire strong and robust. One simple way to aid in digestion is to add digestive spices to your meals. This helps to reduce the heaviness in food and ignite your inner fire. As an added bonus, many spices possess a wide range of additional health benefits such as being detoxifying, anti-inflammatory, beneficial for weight loss, and even healing toward the mind.
Whether you are a new-comer to using spices in your food, or you simply are looking to change up your already vibrant spice collection, this digestive spice recipe will be a great addition. This blend can be added to any savory dish such as soups, stews, stir-fries, kitchari, dals and even meat dishes to lighten up the meal and allow better digestion and absorption of the nutrients. It will help reduce gas and bloating after food intake, and will strengthen your overall digestive fire (Agni) when used consistently.
- 2 Tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Powder
- 1 Tbsp Fennel Seed, whole
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Seed, whole
- 2 tsp Cumin Seed, whole
- 2 tsp Fenugreek Seed, whole
- 1/2 tsp Ajwain Seed, whole
- 1 tsp Black Peppercorns, whole
- 5 Saffron Stigmas
1. In a spice grinder or a clean coffee grinder, add all of the spices together.
2. Grind for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture becomes a fine powder.
NOTE: If a grinder is not available, a mortar and pestle can be used as well as certain blenders (not all will work). If none of these options are available, just use powdered spices and simply blend them together.
Add to any savory dish such as:
- Kitchari or Dals
- Quinoa or rice dishes
- Veggie sautés
- Meat or meat dishes (helps to reduce the heavy, hard-to-digest quality of meat!)
This spice blend can replace the recommended spices for most of our savory recipes we share. Discover some great recipe ideas for your new spice blend here!
- Increases the digestive fire
- Reduces indigestion symptoms such as gas, bloating and cramping after food
- Burns toxins, detoxifies the body
- Boosts the metabolism
- Increases circulation
- Awakens the mind
- Reduces inflammation in the body
- Store in an air-tight jar, out of direct sunlight for up to one year
- Sauté in a small amount of ghee or oil before adding to any savory dish
- Pitta types should reduce the ginger powder and black pepper in half, while omitting the fenugreek and ajwain; cardamom can be added if desired
- Kapha types can add in a small amount of brown mustard seed and/or cayenne pepper for additional heating digestive benefits