Everyone needs a bit of indulgence in their diet once and a while. The trick is to find healthy choices to indulge on when this time comes. That is exactly how this recipe came about! This energizing golden milkshake is an Ayurvedic-friendly recipe similar to a smoothie, without the incompatible food combining no-no’s. It includes many Ojas-increasing whole foods, and is filled with healthy fats (including omega-3s), plant protein, antioxidants, electrolytes, and of course digestive spices.
This turmeric milkshake can be enjoyed as a snack, a dessert, a post-workout rejuvenator, or even an energizing breakfast. It is great for times of rejuvenation, post-cleansing, low Ojas, high Vata, pregnancy, postpartum, breastfeeding, or just about anytime you need a sweet pick-me-up! Although healthy by nature, too much of a good thing can eventually do harm. Therefore it is recommended to take in one serving no more than 3 times each week to avoid increasing Kapha, heaviness, and toxins in the system.
Turmeric Milkshake Recipe
- Doshic effect: Vata↓, Pitta↓, Kapha↑
- Serves: 2
- Prep Time: 10 minutes (plus optional 1 to 2 hours to chill)
- Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan
- High-Speed Blender (Vitamix or Blendtec works best!)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup of raw coconut water (I prefer the Harmless Harvest brand)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 of a large avocado or 1 small avocado
- 3 to 4 large medjool dates (remove pits)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Fresh ginger (1 to 2 inch cube), chopped (replace with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dry ginger)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Place all of the ingredients in a high speed blender.
2. Blend on high for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Taste to see if the consistency is smooth and creamy. If any chunks remain, blend more.
4. Once the consistency is as desired, pour the shake into a ball jar and seal tightly. Place this in the refrigerator or freezer for a minimum of 1 to 2 hours to create a cooler temperature.*
*This step is optional; it is always best to eat food warm to room temperature.
5. Once the temperature is to your liking, serve, share, enjoy, and energize!