Everyone needs a bit of indulgence in their diet once and a while. The trick is to find healthy delicious foods to indulge on when this time comes. That is exactly how this recipe came about! This energizing Golden Milkshake is an Ayurvedic-friendly recipe similar to a smoothie, without the incompatible food combining no-no’s. It utilizes many Ojas-increasing whole foods, and is filled with healthy fats (including omega-3s), tons of plant protein, antioxidants, electrolytes, and of course digestive spices.
Our Turmeric Milkshake can be enjoyed as a snack, a dessert, a post-workout treat (tons of healthy protein!), or even an energizing breakfast. It is great for times of rejuvenation, post-cleansing, low Ojas, high Vata, pregnancy, postpartum, breast feeding, or just about anytime you need a sweet pick-me-up! Although healthy by nature, too much of a good thing can eventually do harm. Therefore it is recommended to take in one serving no more than 3 times each week to avoid increasing Kapha, heaviness, and toxins in the system.
- Doshic effect: Vata↓, Pitta↓, Kapha↑
- Serving: 2
- Time: 10 minutes to make, 1-2 hours to cool (optional)
- Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan
- High-Speed Blender (Vitamix or Blendtec works best!)
- 2 cups of filtered water
- 1 cup of raw coconut water (I prefer the Harmless Harvest brand)
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 Tbsp raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 of a large avocado or 1 small avocado
- 3-4 large medjool dates (remove pits)
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1-2 inches of fresh ginger (can be replaced with 1/2-1 tsp dry ginger)
- 1/2-1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Cacao nibs or powder (avoid for Vata types)
- Ashwagandha powder
- Shatavari powder
- Spirulina powder (although it won’t be golden anymore)
1. Place all of the ingredients in a high speed blender.
2. Blend on high for 2-3 minutes.
3. Taste to see if the consistency is sufficient. Blend more if needed.
4. Once the consistency is as desired, pour the shake into a ball jar and seal tightly. Place this in the refrigerator or freezer for a minimum of 1-2 hours to create a cooler temperature. *This step is optional, as in Ayurveda it is best to eat food warm to room temperature.
5. Once the temperature is to your liking, serve, share and enjoy!