Cinnamon, also known as Tvak in Ayurveda, is one of the most well-known and widely used spices in many cultures from the East to the West. Although most of us are familiar with the amazing flavor cinnamon adds to a variety of dishes, you may not realize the powerful healing properties this spice holds.
Cinnamon has a wide range of uses from healing menstrual disorders to respiratory conditions to digestion issues and beyond. The great news is that cinnamon is easy to get into the daily diet, as it can be added to just about anything!
Here are a few recipes that incorporate Cinnamon:
- Ayurvedic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Winter Spiced Sweet Potato Muffins
- Ayurvedic Chai Recipe
- Ojas Increasing Oatmeal
- Simply Spiced Quinoa Porridge
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Coconut Soup
- Golden Milk Recipe
Cinnamon Health Benefits
- Reduces Vata and Kapha imbalance
- Increase the digestive fire
- Reduces gas, bloating and cramping
- Burns toxins
- Increases circulation
- Relieves arthritis
- Clears cough, cold and congestion
- Reduces fever
- Treats Candida
- Useful in diarrhea
- Heart tonic
- Treats infertility
- Treats impotence
- Increases strength and energy (ojas)
- Calms the mind
- Treats menstrual disorders including dysmenorrhea, amenorrhea, menorrhagia, fibroids, cysts and endometriosis
- Treats frequent urination
Cinnamon Home Remedies
1. For increased ojas, energy, strength and digestion:
Take 1/2 tsp of cinnamon in a mixture of 1/2 tsp of ghee and 1/2 tsp of honey. Mix together to make a paste and take this 2 times daily- once upon awakening and another between 2-4pm.
2. For menstrual irregularities and cramping:
3-4 days prior to bleeding, begin to take 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 1/4 tsp of dry ginger, mixed in 1/2 cup of warm water. Steep 5 minutes and do not strain! Take 3 times daily until the first day of the bleeding cycle. Add 1 tsp of aloe for constipation, acne, irritability or any signs of excessive heat associated with the cycle.
3. For cough, sore throat and congestion:
Take 1/2 tsp of cinnamon mixed with 1 small spoonful of honey. Mix into a paste and take as needed. For extra strength relief add a pinch of black pepper, dry ginger and clove powder to this mixture. ***Great remedy as a natural cough syrup for kids!